Friday 24 January 2014

Friday Recipe: Fish Pie

So I was looking at the blog, and noticed that I do a lot of talking about food, but not much by way of producing the good on the recipe front, so I have decided to try and do a Friday Recipe each week. This may be some tried and tested family recipe, or something new we have done just this week.

Today, is the new variety.

This week we had some delicious white fish left over, so I decided to try a fish pie. 

Now, I have to confess, the only fish pies I have ever eaten have been the frozen sea captain variety, and I have never been keen. 

I also have to confess to never really having much luck with any dish that requires mashed potato topping!!! It ends up everywhere, and never really looks appetizing!! But this would be fine, right......??????? 

Fish Pie (feeds 6)
Ingredients

4 large fish fillets
10 medium potatoes, peeled chopped and mashed with butter and milk
1/2 cup sweetcorn (I used frozen)
400ml whole milk
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp flour (I used white, as it was just for sauce)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
Grated cheese for topping ( optional)


Method


  • While your potatoes are boiling, use milk to poach the fish in a pan (watch that it doesn't boil over and lose all of your milk!! Go on, ask me how I know...)
  • When fish is cooked, (about 10 mins) scoop out the cooked fish with a slotted spoon and lay in the bottom of a large oven proof dish. Break up a little.
  • Reserve the milk to one side, and in the same pan, melt the butter on a medium heat.
  • Still on the heat, add the flour, and whisk briskly to combine, making a paste.
  • Slowly pour in the warm milk, whisking as you go, to prevent lumps. 
  • Continue to whisk as you heat through, and the sauce will begin to thicken. Don't let it get too thick now, as it will thicken more in the oven. Add the salt, pepper and herbs, or to taste, and pour sauce over fish in the large dish. 
  • Mash your potatoes, adding your milk and butter, (or cream, or however you prefer to make mash!!) 
  • Now I used a piping bag for the first time here, and it worked so much better than the 'splat and spread' methods I have previously used!!
  • Top with cheese, if using and put in the oven, at 200c for 15 mins, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  • serve with vegetables of your choice
We served with cauliflower and broccoli cheese and carrots.
As if I should have been surprised, but the whole family LOVED this dish and have requested that it go on the regular list, and even the Boy Who Hates Potatoes love the mash on the top!!!!
Win, win, I think!!!
Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment